To practice dentistry in USA, foreign trained dentists have these options.
  • Two/Three years of DDS/DMD for Foreign Trained Dental Graduate
  •  Two years of DDS Program at Mexico makes you eligible to practice in State of California, USA
  •   Canadian DDS/DMD Programs
  •   Post Doctoral Programs
  •   GPR/AEGD Programs
  • DDS/DMD remains number one option if you want a clinical career. Post doctoral programs are especially for those who have an orientation towards faculty positions. These days it’s very competitive and tough for simple BDS graduates to get admissions into Post Doctoral programs as many MDS are entering USA. For everyone, NBDE Part 1 is highly required and recommended. Without NBDE Part 1, it has become nearly impossible to get admissions into Post doctoral programs.
    • Average net income of Specialty Practitioners (MSD) in 2004 was $328,110
    • Average net income of General Practitioners (DDS) in 2004 was $185,090
    • Annually there are 4850 DDS seats are available out of which 400-500 seats are available for Foreign dental graduates
    • As per ADA, States of Connecticut, Kentucky, Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan, Tennessee, Texas, Maryland, Virginia, Washington provide Licensure after completion of 2 year Post Doctoral Program without DDS. Kindly check State Board website for more updated information.
    Other Career Options that can help you to get admission into Dental School:
    In case you don’t get admission in Dental School and you want to be in US, The other option is look for Masters in Public Health (MPH); Masters in Health Care Administration (MHA); Masters in Clinical Research. The fee for these courses ranges from 20000 to 45000 USD for two years. The salary levels are low as compared to dentists and jobs are also a bit tough to get.

    Basic requirement: GRE (General) and TOEFL iBT. Students with MPH/MHA/MS in Clinical Research degrees have better chances to get admission into dental school as compared to fresh graduates from foreign dental schools. Once offered admission from school, you can apply for F1 (Student visa). The best part is US Immigration laws permit you to work 20 hrs /week on-campus during fall and spring and 40hrs/week during summer. Effectively your earnings can take care of your monthly expenditure and also you can get scholarships in terms of Graduate Assistantships to make your tuition fees equivalent to in-state tuition fees, but everything needs to be planned before time and application deadlines are very strictly adhered by universities.